Cartography degree online prepare students for a wide range of careers in the field of mapmaking. Since degree programs in cartography are frequently very hands-on, online programs with a major or specialty in cartography are nearly non-existent.
Although it can seem that there are no new places to discover, cartography is a valuable skill. Mapmakers have a valuable task since they use their skills to communicate knowledge about the land and its surroundings. It isn’t just map-making, though. The field also includes the study of old maps and the knowledge that might be hidden inside them.
Students interested in this area, however, will find that only a few schools offer online programs in the related field of geographic information systems. These programs usually include cartography courses which lead to a Master in Geographic Information Systems or Geographic Information Science.
Students usually need ArcGIS software with the following extensions: 3D Analyst, Geostatistical Analyst, Network Analyst, and Spatial Analyst to complete GIS programs entirely online.
Requirements for Online Master’s Degree in Cartography
- GIS experts create maps and store data that can be used for spatial data using computer programs and software. GIS master’s degree programs online are designed to help students learn the skills they’ll need to handle data and solve geospatial problems. The program covers key topics such as cartographic and GIS database design, geostatistics, and project management in general. Students can also learn about cloud and server GIS, conservation GIS, light detection and ranging technology, location intelligence, and the Python programming language in this rapidly evolving field of research.
- Applicants will be required to apply for their GRE scores in addition to getting a bachelor’s degree. Students with previous technical experience in GIS and geospatial technology may be favored by some programs.
- While degree requirements vary, an online master’s program usually consists of 28-35 credits and can be completed in as little as three years. Students can participate in a capstone experience or independent research project, take a final exam, or write a thesis in addition to their coursework.
- Students in these online programs may connect with peers and professors in real-time through phone or Web conferencing. Email, chat rooms, and online discussion boards are all examples of asynchronous communication. Electronic submission and evaluation are also used for assignments, tasks, and quizzes. A student version of the ArcGIS platform with 3D Analyst, Geostatistical Analyst, Network Analyst, and Spatial Analyst extensions may be one of the technical requirements. Also, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word are needed.
Major Online Courses Associated with Cartography
Cartography and Visualization
Theoretical and realistic elements of cartographic design are introduced to aspiring professionals. The course will cover how spatial cognition and visual perception aid in the development of GIS-based animations, maps, interactive displays, and virtual realities.
Geospatial System Analysis and Design
Students build and apply geospatial information systems while learning about geographic abstraction and modeling to data modeling. The study of spatial analysis and geostatistics may be combined in some schools.
GIS Database Development
Students will build, integrate, and manage a database using desktop GIS software in this class. They will have the opportunity to work with object-oriented, relational, and other geospatial databases, in particular.
GIS Programming and Customization
Future professionals can learn how to configure GIS applications, automate repetitive tasks, and improve accessibility in this class.
Remote Sensing for Image Analysis and Applications
Students will learn about the airborne and spaceborne sensors that are used to collect elevation and spectral data, as well as optical imagery, in this course. They also learn about geo-reference procedures and how to use data to make scaled maps and digital information items.
How it will help to get a job?
Cartography and surveying, natural resource management, and urban and regional planning are all options for graduates of online master’s programs in cartography degree online. They could work as mapping technicians or technical consultants in addition to working as GIS analysts.
Students who want to work as cartographers should be mindful that some states require them to get a surveyor’s license. The American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, which also provides a webinar collection, offers voluntary technical certifications in mapping science, remote sensing, and photogrammetry.
It improves information and spatial data skills while also offering valuable insights into the visualization. Map projections can help us better understand how we use space and how space relates to some of our most pressing issues.
They have the potential to both teach and inspire. A useful world map could rekindle your passion and lead you down the road to answering your most pressing questions.
Benefits of Taking Cartography
- As digital mapping has progressed, the possibilities for mapmaking have greatly increased. For example, GIS and cloud computing have allowed many more map designers to gain access to sophisticated mapping tools and large quantities of spatial data that would have been too costly or time-consuming to store before the cloud market matured.
- One of the underappreciated advantages of these advances is that by lowering the barrier to entry into cartography, maps can now be produced for a wide range of purposes, from disaster relief maps to maps made just for fun and to test cartographers’ creativity.
- Despite drastic changes in how maps are constructed and what kinds of information they can display, many of the basics of cartography have remained the same for decades. This is also a critical skill set for modern cartography.
- Cartographers must be able to assess spatial data, evaluate its relevance to the information they want the audience to understand, and determine the best way to display that information since maps are communication tools. Furthermore, creative skills are needed for presenting relevant information in a user-friendly manner and ensuring that map viewers understand it.
Cartography degree online courses allow you to complete assignments at your speed without having to fly or leave your job. You’ll receive a recognized and esteemed certification upon completion, and you’ll be able to interact with a large network of alumni for job opportunities. As a result, you should begin by deciding on a program.